The latest in anti-ageing facial and body rejuvenation with your own blood cells using PLATELET-RICH PLASMA (PRP). Face Today Medi-Clinic is proud to be one of the first two clinics in Australia chosen to launch PRP. Nicole Bell Founder of Face Today Medi-Clinic demonstrated at the first workshop in Sydney on Feb 7, 2009. Since this launch there has been an explosive response and the Face Today team have injected over a thousand patients to date. Results have been amazing with patients showing signs of skin tightening and improved skin texture and tone.
Why should we have Regenerative Medicine known as PRP? Aging of the skin, dermal components and cells, means that the skin texture and appearance deteriorate. Aging affects the hands, soft tissue of the face and body. This is characterized by sagging, thinning of the skin, puffiness, age spots (lentigines) and wrinkling (forehead, cheeks, neck and décolleté). Tissue on the arms becomes thin and empty. General texture of the skin changes and dryness is a problem. Sun exposure worsens the process by solar-aging and UV irradiation. This means that vertical and horizontal facial wrinkles and body texture deteriorate with time. Some people, of both genders, choose to age gracefully and are not concerned about eventually POSSIBLY looking like their grand-parents in years to come.
However, there are choices, in this new era of anti-aging medicine. The trend now is to turn back the clock and undergo some form of rejuvenation to reduce facial wrinkles, lines and blemishes and rejuvenate the body. A new approach appealing to clients seeking an increased and natural method to rejuvenation. This is regeneration with your own cells and more specifically, autologous platelet-rich plasma (PRP). This is also referred to as autologous cellular regeneration (ACR) an aesthetic practice, which is a safe and tolerable procedure. Used in combination therapy it can potentiate the results of your other anti ageing modalities. REGENERATIVE MEDICINE is the production and injection of autologous platelet rich plasma. It is well known that platelets have many functions. Platelets contain important growth factors that, when secreted, are responsible for:
- Tissue regeneration and rejuvenation
- increasing collagen production
- recruiting other cells to the site of injury
- initiating vascular in – growth
- inducing cell differentiation
- bone – mineralization
- extra cellular matrix formation
- Non – Allergenic
- It is a ‘body own’ physiological product vs. animal derived or human donor products.
- Elimination of donor transmissible infections
- Biological Glue: for tissue adhesion especially in skin flaps, bone grafts and trauma.
These are vital steps in collagen regeneration and wound healing.
NO! Not everyone is suitable. Persons with skin disease (SLE, porphyria, allergies), cancer, chemotherapy, severe metabolic and systemic disorders, and abnormal platelet function (i.e. blood disorders). Anti-coagulation therapy and underlying sepsis excludes the use of PRP.
Approx 45mins to 1 hour per two test tubes.
- SAFE and Physiologically Active
- Preparation is Simple and Quick, and completed on the Physicians premises in the appointment time. No products are sent off premises.
- Can be used in multiple areas for dermal rejuvenation
Prior to treatment a blood sample of 10 – 20 mls is extracted from the patient. This blood is immediately placed in the centrifuge for 5 – 8 minutes. When centrifugation is complete your Plasma will be separated into three layers: (1) platelet – poor plasma, ( 2) red blood cells , and (3) the ‘buffy coat’ ( i.e. platelets and white blood cells) from your red blood cells. The rich platelets are extracted from the base of the plasma gel. The platelets are injected into the deep dermis or fat layer of the skin. Platelets gradually increase collagen which can increase skin thickness and overall health of the skin.
- Your practitioner will assess the degree of skin aging, perform a skin analysis, and recommend a sensible treatment with reasonable outcome.
- Options of facial rejuvenation are explained to you, including efficacy and safety. Cost analysis is discussed and the number of sessions possibly required.
- Persons between the ages of 30 and 80 years are eligible.
- All skin tones show that the process is safe and effective because your own enriched plasma is used, but not all grades of wrinkling can be improved.
- A photograph of the skin is taken to assist the follow-up and grading of the improvement.
- Sixteen millilitres (16ml) of blood is obtained from the arm by venapuncture.
- The blood is collected in special sterile tubes and centrifuged in the practitioner’s rooms to separate the plasma. The plasma is drawn up into a syringe and activated with calcium-chloride; this stimulates natural growth factor release from the platelets in the plasma. About 8ml of PRP is obtained which is used for facial rejuvenation and injection.
- The PRP is injected under the skin (including the dermis), under topical local anaesthesia. The forehead, peri-orbital region, cheeks, chins and dorsum of the hands, various body parts are the targets of aging and wrinkles, for rejuvenation. The process is relatively painless providing sufficient topical anaesthesia is applied. Nitrous Oxide or Happy Gas is available if required and Medically appropriate.
- PRP facial rejuvenation (or also termed ACR) Currently Regenlab PRP renders the most efficient enriched ACR, compared to other products. Three treatments one month apart is advisable followed by a maintinance of at least once a year preferably every six months.
- This entire process and injection time is simple and takes approximately 45 minutes – 1 hour in total. The process is on the same day and in the same medical practice.
- Are there any side effects of PRP FACIAL REJUVENATION ?
- Minimal: Expect minimal swelling, bruising and redness for 12-24 hours. Some clients experience headache.
- Modest: Some patients may feel faint. A bruise at the venapuncture site may be visible for 2-3 days.
- Severe: In rare cases, skin cellulitis may occur which can be treated with antibiotics and cold compresses. Occasionally hospitalization is needed in these cases. Secondary skin infection is a rare complication.
- Results are visible at 3 weeks and improve gradually over ensuing months with improvement in texture and tone.
- Cosmeceutical and Light therapies can enhance the results.
- Advanced wrinkling cannot be reversed and a minimal improvement is predictable in persons with alcohol and tobacco abuse. Combination therapy is advisable talk to our practitioners.
- Severe scarring may not respond.
- Further plasma treatment is also popular and safe. PRP – ACR is effective and well tolerated, but patient selection is important if predictable results are to be expected.
- Around the eyes – Peri Orbital Rim
- Cheeks and Mid face
- Thinning skin on the neck
- Jaw Line and Sub Malar
- Back of hands
- Other Body Areas