Physiological Cause of Acne : In a normal skin follicle, sebum produced by the sebaceous gland combines with cells being sloughed off within the hair follicle and “fills up” the hair follicle. When the follicle is “full”, the sebum spreads over the skin surface giving the skin an oily appearance. When this process works correctly, the skin is moisturized and remains healthy.
Acne is a condition caused by obstruction of hair follicles. Problems arise when the cells that are normally sloughed off become ‘sticky’. Every hair follicle has oil glands associated with it and acne occurs when there is obstruction of the opening of a hair follicle by ‘sticky’ skin cells and oil from the oil gland. The oil gland continues to produce oil causing either the hair follicle to swell resulting in small blocked pores or the oil gland to swell and rupture which releases oil and dead skin cells into the dermis. The dermis does not like oil and dead skin cells and sets up an inflammatory reaction (redness and swelling) and then bacteria in the hair follicle can create infection called an acne pustule.
Pathological cause of Acne
- Fluctuations and imbalance of Hormones: Fluctuations can typically occur through the teenage years as well as in pre and post menopausal women; however the imbalance of hormones can be quite serious and require specialist medical investigation.
- Stress: Research has proven that stress is a major cause or aggravation of acne by stimulating the adrenal glands and hypothalamus to release various stress hormones which in turn increase sebum production and decreases the body’s immunity and healing.
- Environmental irritants such as high humidity, pollution, the work environment, sweating, pressure from clothes, masks or helmets and oil from skin products (moisturizers, sunblock’s or cosmetics)
- Dietary: Poor diet, high glycaemic foods, food intolerances, anorexia and inflammatory bowel disease have been scientifically proven to lead to hormonal imbalances and changes in the body’s chemical equilibrium. A deficiency in Vitamins A, B, E, Zinc and Vitamin C are all linked with acne development.
- Drugs and medications such as androgens, steroids, lithium, methamphetamine, cocaine but even excessive sugar loading before a gym workout can cause acne.
Acne must be treated seriously : Acne can range from black heads or white heads to severe red inflamed pustules which are painful to touch. The more severe forms of Acne are cysts or red to purple inflamed skin infected by bacteria called Propionibacterium acnes which can cause serious scars. Even mild acne can have profound social and psychological effect and may cause depression and social withdrawal in a person of any age. Acne is a medical condition and should be treated by doctors who specialize in this condition. At Face Today Medi Clinic we believe acne should be treated in its mild stages to prevent not only the physical scars but the emotional trauma that is usually experienced when the appearance of the face is of concern. The medical professionals at Face Today are passionate about accurate medical treatment for the many different aspects of Acne and educating the client to prevent this disease from reoccurring.
- Acne treatment starts with education and self empowerment. This involves a very simple home skin care program. The way to treat and prevent acne is to remove the obstruction and remove the dead skin cells that cause the obstruction. This includes avoidance of creams and makeup which aggravate the problem. It also requires consistency and persistency following the program as directed without forgetting or leaving out any of the steps involved.
- Medication may be essential to eradicate infection, reduce sebum production and treat hormonal problems.
- Blood tests may be required to determine the underlying cause of severe acne.
- Medical grade skin treatments are essential and can include Medical Microdermabrasion, Medical Skin Peels, Photodynamic Therapy, Intense Pulse Light and Blue Light.
- Home Skin Needling is an amazing method of repair of the epidermis where the pigmentation is deposited which in turn breaks up and lightens the unwanted pigment. Used daily at home, skin needling is safe and gentle and has no down time. This is a roller like device with fine needles to roll on the skin allowing a greater penetration of medical strength Face Today Rx Product such as Luminaire and induces the release of growth factors that stimulate new collagen production.
- Internal support and a low GI diet are important as this is often the underlying cause and aggravation of this condition.
- Medical grade Skin care at home is the most important treatment of acne.
- Cleanse and slough off dead skin cells using a cleanser containing alpha-hydroxy acids such as Skinstitut Glycolic Cleanser or gentle enzymes found in our Face Today Rx Skincare range – Deluxe Enzyme Cleanser.
- Exfoliate away dead skin cells and unblock the pores safely using Face Today Rx Skincare’s Reveal Enzyme mask or Skinstitut Glycolic Scrub which contains 14% alpha hydroxyl acids.
- Topical Vitamin A is one of the most effective treatments for acne, assisting to reverse the ‘sticky’ condition of the epidermal cells and sebaceous glands and helping to remove dead skin cells that cause the blocked pores. Face Today Rx Skincare’s Clear A and Serene Serum contain Retinaldehyde, which is the form of Retin A found naturally in the skin. It is therefore non-irritating, very powerful and binds lost Vitamin A with the dermal cells to replenish, restructure and restore the damaged skin.
- Studies show that topical antioxidants are essential for Acne stressed skin which is struggling to work with the immune system to heal and restore damaged cells. Face Today Rx Skincare’s Nutrify is based on the latest research and provides the most potent antioxidant serum available.
- Sun protection is one of the most important steps in skin care and Face Today Rx Skincare’s Parasol goes further than being a natural 30+ sun block by using silica coated micronized zinc ensuring that the particles do not break down and get absorbed into the system. It also contains calming and highly protective agents to protect the skin against the damaging sun rays.