There are many types of acne scars:
- Macular scarring - this type of acne scarring is characterised by flat areas of increased and decreased pigmentation as a result of acne. Although there are not any indentations in the skin or raised scars, this is considered as a scar by many patients who have this problem.
- Superficial scars - these acne scars have sharp edges and are often round or oval shaped when seen from above.
- Deep scars - appear as undulations in the skin and involve loss of subcutaneous tissue volume and some tethering of the skin to underlying structures.
- Ice-pick scars - deep small holes in the skin.
- Hypertrophic scars: This is a raised and often pigmented scar as a result of acne.
- Keloid scars: the size of the scar is significantly raised, and disproportionate to the size of the initial trauma caused by the acne
How can I treat macular scars?
Macular scarring is mainly pigmentation or redness and is usually a result of inflammation caused from acne rather than changes in the skin texture. This can be treated with lightening agents or IPL (intense pulse light) treatments.
How can I treat superficial and deeper scars?
Deeper scars are difficult to treat but with both superficial and deeper scars, the appearance of the skin can be improved by several methods.
is an amazing treatment using your own growth enzymes to stimulate new collagen growth in the scars. Several treatments are required usually about a month apart. Platelet rich plasma (that is your own blood) is injected into the scars and this regenerates the damaged skin over the next months. This treatment is great to use in conjunction with Skin Needling or Portrait Resurfacing to achieve the best outcome and health of the scared skin.
can be treated with Dermal Fillers
to lift up indented scars, and are temporary. The advantage of these treatments is the very small amount of downtime required and the result is a smoother skin surface.
Portrait resurfacing is a permanent treatment for acne scarring. We ablate (remove via vaporisation) the top layer of skin and this results in growth of smoother new skin which lessens the appearance of scarring. Portrait resurfacing can not only improve the appearance of acne scars, but also can the appearance of sun damage wrinkles and pigmentation. Recovery can take approximately two weeks with the procedure.
is a very effective method of treating superficial acne scars by puncturing the skin with multiple fine medical grade needles attached to a small roller. This stimulates collagen production and helps to lift up any 'indented' scars. The advantage of this treatment is the fact that it can be used on all skin types including darker skin types. Skin needling usually requires several treatments, once a month and can take several days to recover from the treatment, depending on the intensity of the skin needling.
Home Skin Needling is a proven method of continuing collagen repair and growth at home, safely and gently and without any down time. This is a roller like device with fine needles to roll on the skin allowing a greater penetration of medical strength Face Today Rx Skincare product and to induce the release of growth factors that stimulate new collagen production.
are another method of treating more superficial and mild acne scarring. A series of peels are required to achieve some improvement without significant downtime.
is a technique that can slightly improve the appearance of mild acne scarring. It uses a gentle vacuum to bring your skin in contact with a diamond shaped crystals that gently abrades the top layer of dead skin. This stimulates collagen production and helps the appearance of scarring. More than 10 treatments are required and the results are slight with virtually no downtime except for some redness that persists for a few hours.
Contact Face Today Medi Clinic for your initial free consultation and we will discuss with you what is a realistic and achievable outcome, and what to expect from your treatment.
- Medical grade Skin care at home is the most important treatment of acne scars.
- Cleanse and slough off dead skin cells using a cleanser containing alpha-hydroxy acids such as Skinstitut Glycolic Cleanser or gentle enzymes found in our Face Today Rx Skincare range - Deluxe Enzyme Cleanser.
- Exfoliate away dead skin cells and unblock the pores safely using Face Today Rx Skincare Reveal Enzyme mask or Skinstitut Glycolic Scrub which contains 14% alpha hydroxyl acids.
- Topical Vitamin A is one of the most effective treatments for acne scars, assisting to remove dead skin cells and give an glow to the skin. Face Today Rx Skincare’s Clear A and Serene Serum contain Retinaldehyde, which is the form of Retin A found naturally in the skin. It is therefore non-irritating, very powerful and binds lost Vitamin A with the dermal cells to replenish, restructure and restore the damaged skin cells.
- Studies show that topical antioxidants are essential for Acne scarred skin which is struggling to work with the immune system to heal and restore damaged cells. Face Today Rx Skincare’s Nutrify is based on the latest research and provides the most potent antioxidant serum available.
- Sun protection is one of the most important steps in skin care and Face Today Rx Skincare’s Parasol goes further than being a natural 30+ sun block by using silica coated micronized zinc ensuring that the particles do not break down and get absorbed into the system. It also contains calming and highly protective agents to protect the skin against the damaging sun rays.
- There are many factors when deciding what treatment to use when treating acne scarring.
- A consultation with one of our highly experienced medical staff will help assist you to decide which treatment will best suit your skin problem and how to achieve your goal.
How Precious is Your Face!
Face Today can help you achieve your ultimate Designer Face. See
our online interactive Face Map, now to see the areas that you can